Click on the headings for more information
- 9:00 am Introduction to Biochar - Evolution and value of biochar: including history (ancient & local); primary benefits; production technologies (old & new; big & small; fast & slow; good & bad); applications overview
- 10:45 am Morning Tea
- 11:00 am Biochar Production & CCI: demonstration of simple, farm-scale production techniques; post-production processes (conditioning; charging; inoculating)
- 12:00 Lunch (while pyrolyses continues)
- 12:30 pm Complete pyrolyses: discuss post-production processes, quality and application
- 2:00 pm Biochar application demonstration: apply biochar to establish a field trial at each workshop venue to monitor the effects of biochar on soil moisture and nutrient status in the future; we hope to provide follow up data for workshop attendees
- 3:30 pm Strategies for horticulture: R&D ideas, produce? buy? production cooperative? cascading uses? application methods.
- 3:30 pm Workshop wrapup: discussion and feedback.
- 4:00 pm Close
For more information and registration go to
5 March ODPG Workshop Paterson Farm 10 am to 4pm 1933 State Highway 27, Patetonga Waikato 10 am to 4 pm $100 pp ODPG members $75
8 March Southern Organics Group Workshop James Cummings Wing Bld. Gore, Southland 10 am to 4 pm. Contact Allan Richardson 027 220 2672 firstname.lastname@example.org
13 March ODPG Workshop Clearview Dairy 10am to 4pm 793 Peel Forest Road, Geraldine Canterbury 10 am to 4 pm $100 pp ODPG members $75
Registration Required. For all events please email ODPG22@gmail.com Please bring cash or a cheque on the day. Teas and lunch provided.
Come and join the ODPG for this information day with farm consultant Phyllis Tichinin and soil scientist Graham Shepherd.
Farm Field Day – September 22, 2017
Location – Kohatu Farm – Linda & Boyd Matson – 178 Mangakahia Road, Maungatapere – Northland
Date – September 22, 2017
Time – 10:00 – 2:00 Morning tea provided bring your own lunch
Cost: $20.00 – free to ODPG and Northland Biological Dairy Group Members
Registration Required contact Steve Erickson at email@example.com
About the day. This field day will start with an open discussion about the various methods of testing your farm to assess its health and productivity. We will look at soil and plant testing, biological tests and Visual soil assessments. The discussion will be led by Steve Erickson who has 35 years of growing experience and has done a wide range of testing on his farm in Waihi. We will then have a presentation from Linda and Boyd Matson about their farm and a farm walk to look at pasture soils and stock.
Want to see soil carbon sequestration in action? Never seen more than 5 plant species in a pasture sward? Join the ODPG Executive in Hawkes Bay for a day of pasture walks, soil examination, and talks on what has happened on farm to change the soils from orange grey to dark brown. All welcome.
Thermal and Worm Composting 3-Day Course with Molly Haviland, of Haviland Earth Regeneration, May 10 - 12, 2017
Kiwi Fertiliser in conjunction with Chaos Springs and MyNOKE Compost are proud to host Molly Haviland for this intensive 3-day course in which she will share her profound knowledge about thermal and worm composting, and the benefits of their application in modern eco-agriculture. This course consists of 2 days of classroom learning at the Hotel Armitage in Tauranga, followed by a 1 day Field Trip to Chaos Springs Farm in Waihi.
For those NEW to ORGANICS and those EXPERIENCED in ORGANICS, The Organic Dairy & Pastoral Group presents a FARMER to FARMER Information Day.
Join us at Chaos Springs farm for an inspiring day with an outstanding group of seasoned organic farmers. Discussion topics include Soils, Pasture Management, Weed Management, Animal Health, Dealing with Drought, and Coping with Audits. Registration is essential.
Join John King for two days of robust discussion about the future of grazing, livestock, and enhancing landscape function. Improve your grazing observation skills, management and improve lifestyle by having livestock at the right place at the right time for the right reason.